In a few months, I’m planning a trip up to Napa and Sonoma. It will be an extensive stay of two weeks. Lots of food. Lots of wine. This trip to the land of the wine gods has been in the works for nearly a year now. It’s a working vacation. I know which wineries I want to visit, the winemakers I want to interview, where I will eat. I’m so excited that this is finally happening… Maybe I will stay three weeks? LOL.
Do you see why Sonoma is on my mind? Even with the wines I am drinking, I can’t get enough of Sonoma. So, of course, I read Sonoma on the Avalon label then glanced at the price, and said, “Mine!” The giddy, little girl inside me loves a good wine find, but then again, who doesn’t, right?
Avalon California Cabernet Sauvignon 2011($10)
Even though the label says Sonoma, Avalon California Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 is only bottled in Sonoma. In my book, that’s ok. Here’s a little wine info for you on this wonderful Wine Wednesday.
- Estate Bottled– 100 percent of the grapes used to produce the wine were grown in the winery’s own vineyards
- Château Bottled– Same as “estate bottled.” In French wines, you’ll see these labels-Mis En Bouteille au Domaine, Mis au Domaine, Mis en Bouteille a la Propriete and Mis en Bouteille du Chateau.” In Italian wines, you’ll see these labels-Imbottigliato All’origine. In German wines, you’ll see these labels-Erzeugerabfullung.
- Grown, Produced and Bottled By – the grapes were grown at the winery’s vineyards (or vineyards controlled by the winery) and that the wine was vinified and bottled at the winery.
- Produced and Bottled By – the winery crushed, fermented and bottled at least 75 percent of the wine in that particular bottling, but the winery didn’t grow the grapes.
- Made and Bottled By – a minimum of 10 percent of the wine was fermented at the winery-the other 90 percent could be from other sources.
- Bottled by alone – the winery purchased and bottle wine made somewhere else.
Avalon California Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 is sourced from Lodi, Paso Robles, Santa Barbara and Monterey. It is ruby in color. The strawberries are prominent in the nose. Hints of vanilla and cinnamon. In the mouth, there are plums and cherries. It is a blend of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Merlot, 3% Zinfandel, 1% Cabernet Franc. This combination helps enhance the fruit flavor. Medium bodied and smooth. A soft linger on the palate. Very easy to drink. I would pair this with a burger or spicy pork chops. For the price, this is a good buy!